Admitted to the Brazilian Bar (OAB) in 1954 and to the Paris Bar Association in 1993.
• J.D., Faculdade Nacional de Direito, Rio de Janeiro, 1953.
• J.S.D. Faculdade Nacional de Direito, Rio de Janeiro, 1956.
• J.S.D. Honoris Causa, University of Paris II, Paris, 1998.
Previous Professional Activities
• Attorney of the State of Rio de Janeiro, 1963-1985.
• General Attorney of the State of Rio de Janeiro, 1965-1967.
• Member of the Federal Council of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), 1965-1986.
• President of the Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission (CVM) and Member of the National Monetary Council (CMN), 1988-1989.
• Professor at Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, 1966-1986.
• Professor at the University of Paris II, Paris, 1998.
Current Professional Activities
• Member of the International Arbitration Court of International Chamber of Commerce, Paris.
• Vice-President of the Brazilian Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce.
• President of the Arbitration Commission of the Brazilian Committee of the International Court of Arbitration.
• President of the Brazilian Group of the Association Henri Capitant.
• Member of the Académie Internationale de Droit Comparé (International Academy of Comparative Law).
• Member of the Société de Législation Comparé (Comparative Legislation Society).
• Founder and director of Revista de Direito Bancário e Mercado de Capitais (a law review dealing with banking law and capital markets) and Revista de Arbitragem e Mediação (a law review dealing with arbitration and mediation), both of which are published by Editora Revista dos Tribunais.
Other Notable Activities
• Author of several books in the areas of civil law, commercial law, banking law and administrative law.
• Collaborator in various collective legal publications in Brazil and abroad, in the areas of civil law, commercial law, banking law, administrative law and arbitration.
• Author of several articles published in Brazilian and foreign law reviews.
• Responsible, along with Gilmar Ferreira Mendes and Rodrigo Garcia da Fonseca, for updating Hely Lopes Meirelles’ “Mandado de Segurança, Ação Popular, Ação Civil Pública, Mandado de Injunção e Habeas Data”.
• Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions
• Capital Markets
• Commercial Law and Contracts
• International Law
• Banking and Finance